In the post last week, we covered the ins and outs of e-filing via Now, we understand that there are still those people who prefer to take their manual tax return and drop it off, or walk into a branch and submit electronically onsite.  If this is your preference, today is your day! We’ve included some details below on alternative ways of submitting your return.

In terms of deadlines, you need to know the following:

-          If you are taking your information and dropping it manually into a SARS drop box,  the deadline for this type of submission is the 28th of September 2012

-          If you are filing electronically at a SARS branch, then the deadline is the 23rd of November.

Manual filing

If you choose manual submission (completing your tax return in writing) then you need to call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 SARS [7277] or visit a SARS branch and order your Income Tax Return (ITR12). It will then be posted to you. Once you have the form, you can complete it honestly and completely and pop it in the post, or drop it in a SARS branch drop box.

Filing electronically at a SARS branch

First, you’ll need to know where to go, so visit and check out where your nearest SARS branch is.  The next step is to ensure you the correct documentation for submission.

Checklist for filing your tax return at a SARS branch

  • Your original ID or passport, plus a certified copy or, in the absence of an ID/passport, an affidavit together with a temporary ID/passport
  • Original bank statement with bank stamp that is not older than three months
  • Original proof of residential address not older than three months with your name and residential address (e.g., municipal account)
  • Medical aid certificates and receipts/retirement annuity certificates
  • Your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s), which you will receive from your employer
  • Travel logbook (if you receive a travel allowance)
  • Tax certificates that you received in respect of investment income IT3(b)
  • Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability (ITR-DD) (if applicable)
  • Information relating to capital gain transactions (if applicable)
  • The approved Voluntary Disclosure Programme (VDP) Agreement between yourself and SARS for years prior to 17 February 2010 (where applicable)
  • Financial statements (if applicable, e.g., business income)
  • Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim

Good luck, and post your comments and questions below.